This plan does not cover the following services, treatments and supplies:
- Services which are not Dentally Necessary, those which do not meet generally accepted standards of care for treating the particular dental condition, or which we deem experimental in nature;
- Services for which you would not be required to pay in the absence of Dental Insurance;
- Services or supplies received by you or your Dependent before the Dental Insurance starts for that person;
- Services which are primarily cosmetic (for Texas residents, see notice page section in Certificate);
- Services which are neither performed nor prescribed by a Dentist except for those services of a licensed dental hygienist which are supervised and billed by a Dentist and which are for:
- Scaling and polishing of teeth; or
- Fluoride treatments;
- Services or appliances which restore or alter occlusion or vertical dimension;
- Restoration of tooth structure damaged by attrition, abrasion or erosion;
- Restorations or appliances used for the purpose of periodontal splinting;
- Counseling or instruction about oral hygiene, plaque control, nutrition and tobacco;
- Personal supplies or devices including, but not limited to: water picks, toothbrushes, or dental floss;
- Decoration, personalization or inscription of any tooth, device, appliance, crown or other dental work;
- Missed appointments;
- Covered under any workers’ compensation or occupational disease law;
- Covered under any employer liability law;
- For which the employer of the person receiving such services is not required to pay; or
- Received at a facility maintained by the Employer, labor union, mutual benefit association, or VA hospital;
- Services covered under other coverage provided by the Employer;
- Temporary or provisional restorations;
- Temporary or provisional appliances;
- Prescription drugs;
- Services for which the submitted documentation indicates a poor prognosis;
- The following when charged by the Dentist on a separate basis:
- Claim form completion;
- Infection control such as gloves, masks, and sterilization of supplies; or
- Local anesthesia, non-intravenous conscious sedation or analgesia such as nitrous oxide.
- Dental services arising out of accidental injury to the teeth and supporting structures, except for injuries to the teeth due to chewing or biting of food;
- Caries susceptibility tests;
- Initial installation of a fixed and permanent Denture to replace one or more natural teeth which were missing before such person was insured for Dental Insurance, except for congenitally missing natural teeth;
- Other fixed Denture prosthetic services not described elsewhere in the certificate;
- Precision attachments, except when the precision attachment is related to implant prosthetics;
- Initial installation of a full or removable Denture to replace one or more natural teeth which were missing before such person was insured for Dental Insurance, except for congenitally missing natural teeth;
- Addition of teeth to a partial removable Denture to replace one or more natural teeth which were missing before such person was insured for Dental Insurance, except for congenitally missing natural teeth;
- Adjustment of a Denture made within 6 months after installation by the same Dentist who installed it;
- Fixed and removable appliances for correction of harmful habits;
- Appliances or treatment for bruxism (grinding teeth), including but not limited to occlusal guards and night guards;
- Diagnosis and treatment of temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders.
- Repair or replacement of an orthodontic device;
- Duplicate prosthetic devices or appliances;
- Replacement of a lost or stolen appliance, Cast Restoration, or Denture; and
- Intra and extraoral photographic images.
Alternate Benefits: Where two or more professionally acceptable dental treatments for a dental condition exist, reimbursement is based on the least costly treatment alternative. If you and your dentist have agreed on a treatment that is more costly than the treatment upon which the plan benefit is based, you will be responsible for any additional payment responsibility. To avoid any misunderstandings, we suggest you discuss treatment options with your dentist before services are rendered, and obtain a pretreatment estimate of benefits prior to receiving certain high cost services such as crowns, bridges or dentures. You and your dentist will each receive an Explanation of Benefits (EOB) outlining the services provided, your plan’s reimbursement for those services, and your out-of-pocket expense. Procedure charge schedules are subject to change each plan year. You can obtain an updated procedure charge schedule for your area via fax by calling 1-800-942-0854 and using the MetLife Dental Automated Information Service. Actual payments may vary from the pretreatment estimate depending upon annual maximums, plan frequency limits, deductibles and other limits applicable at time of payment.
Cancellation/Termination of Benefits: Coverage is provided under a group insurance policy (Policy form GPNP99 / G.2130-S) issued by MetLife. Coverage terminates when your membership ceases, when your dental contributions cease or upon termination of the group policy by the Policyholder or MetLife. The group policy terminates for non-payment of premium and may terminate if participation requirements are not met or if the Policyholder fails to perform any obligations under the policy. The following services that are in progress while coverage is in effect will be paid after the coverage ends, if the applicable installment or the treatment is finished within 31 days after individual termination of coverage: Completion of a prosthetic device, crown or root canal therapy.
Like most group benefit programs, benefit programs offered by MetLife and its affiliates contain certain exclusions, exceptions, reductions, limitations, waiting periods and terms for keeping them in force. Please contact MetLife or your plan administrator for costs and complete details.
This dental benefits plan is made available through a self-funded arrangement. MetLife administers this dental benefits plan, but has not provided insurance to fund benefits.
Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, New York, NY 10166 L0115408332[exp0416][All States][DC,GU,MP,PR,VI]